A way to remember these skills is to remember the term ABC PLEASE.
A – Accumulate positive emotions.
Short term – Do pleasant things that are possible now.
Do one thing every day from a pleasant events list.
Be mindful of pleasant events and focus your attention on them when they are happening.
Long term – make more changes in your life so that positive events will happen more often in the future. Build a “life worth living”.
- Step 1: Avoid avoiding. Start now to do what is needed to build the life you want.
- Step 2: Identify values that are important to you.
- Step 3: Identify one value to work on now
- Step 4: Identify a few goals related to this value
- Step 5: Choose one goal to work on now
- Step 6: Identify small action steps towards your goal
- Step 7: Take one action step now
This doesn’t mean negative events and emotions won’t happen, that is impossible.
B – Build Mastery
Do things that make you feel competent and effective to combat helplessness and hopelessness.
Plan on doing one thing per day to build a sense of accomplishment.
Plan for success, not failure.
Gradually increase the difficulty over time
Look for a challenge.
C – Cope Ahead
Rehearse with a plan ahead of time so that you are prepared to cope skillfully with emotional situations.
- Describe the situation in a factual way using your 5 senses
- Decide which coping or problem-solving skills you want to use. Write in detail.
- Imagine the situation in your mind as vividly as possible
- Rehearse in your mind coping effectively, your actions, your thoughts, what you say, how you say it.
- Practice relaxation afterwards.
Treat PhysicaL Illness, balance Eating, avoid mood Altering subatances, balance Sleep, get Exercise.