This is another piece of advice I picked up from the ‘Managing Emotions’ course I am doing. Luckily I don’t get recurrent nightmares, I will have random nightmares occasionally but thankfully not very often. However, in case anyone reading does have them regularly I thought I’d share this with you all.
Nightmare Protocol Step by Step
- Practice relaxation techniques – progressive relaxation, paced breathing etc.
- Choose a recurring nightmare to work on.
- Write down your target nightmare, include as much detail as you can including sensory descriptions, feelings and thoughts
- Choose and write down a changed outcome for the nightmare – this should be before anything traumatic happens in the nightmare.
- Write down the full nightmare with the changes
- Rehearse and relax each night before going to sleep – run the new dream through your head with the changes in place
- Rehearse and relax during the day. Visualise the changed dream as often as possible.