My internet connection went down intermittently last night. It would stay on for about 2-minutes and then cut off for 5-minutes.
Anyway, it has shown me how much I rely on it. Rely/addicted to it. I was so lost without twitter, wordpress, facebook, movies, podcasts…..
Do I use it too much? Yes, if last night and this morning was anything to go by. I couldn’t settle, I was anxious and I was having withdrawal.
I felt alone and isolated with it.
Google led me to find the signs of an internet addiction:
- Preoccupation with the Internet. (Thoughts about previous on-line activity or anticipation of the next on-line session.) YES
- Use of the Internet in increasing amounts of time in order to achieve satisfaction. YES
- Repeated, unsuccessful efforts to control, cut back or stop Internet use. HAVEN’T TRIED
- Feelings of restlessness, moodiness, depression, or irritability when attempting to cut down use of the Internet. YES
- On-line longer than originally intended. YES
- Jeopardized or risked loss of significant relationships, job, educational or career opportunities because of Internet use. NO
- Lies to family members, therapists, or others to conceal the extent of involvement with the Internet. NO
- Use of the Internet is a way to escape from problems or to relieve a dysphoric mood. (e.g. Feelings of hopelessness, guilt, anxiety, depression.) YES
I do need to shift my time away from the internet but at the same time I don’t want to as at the moment it gives me happiness. I love writing this blog and interacting with people on here and don’t want to give that up.
I have set some related challenges as part of my mental cleanse so I’ll see how much difference they make.