I have written a little before about self-care and how I was struggling with it.
Now a few weeks later I am in a different place mentally and I put that improvement down to me placing a higher priority on looking after myself.
Self-care is so important as it shows that we place value on our own lives as much as other people’s. It shows we are worthy of love and we care about ourselves.
People seem to have different definitions of self-care. For me it is anything I do just for me. It can be exercise, food, pampering, meditation, just sitting alone…..anything that is for my benefit.
When I am down, self-care is one of the first things to go so I’m hoping by focusing on this during April and beyond I will prevent any major depressive episodes. Also, just for myself I am going to write here about why I think self-care is so important, to remind myself if things get tough.
- It keeps me healthy. Simple self-care activities like washing, bathing, cleaning my teeth and every day hygiene keeps me well.
- Exercise makes me feel good and healthy
- It makes me feel good
- It gives me confidence
- It boosts my self-esteem
- It reminds me I am worth it
- It gives me some control over my life
- It can be simple and inexpensive
- It relaxes me
- If I love myself then I can love others better
- It cheers me up
I have already out a lot of ideas on my April Mental Cleanse challenge but here are some other simple ideas:
- Write a love letter to myself
- Unfollow people on twitter, facebook etc
- Unsubscribe from advertising emails
- Declutter apps on phone
- Bedtime routine
- Go to bed early
- Listen to relaxing music
- Say No to things
- Draw, sketch, paint
- Eat healthy foods
- Go for a walk
- youtube exercise
- Play a game
- Read a book
- Drink water
- Have a cup of tea
- Try a new herbal tea
- Clean a room
- Light a candle
- Face mask
- Long bath
- Apply body lotion
- Sit in the garden
Is there anything else I can add? I’m going to keep editing this list to build a true arsenal of self-care weapons!