Well I did it. I have booked onto an open online Counselling Level 3 course. I decided that it could only be a good thing as it will potentially open up more career options and even if I stay in teaching it will be a useful skill to have.
The first learning activity is to make a list of the counselling skills I think I already have and those which I hope to learn.
Skills I already have:
- Good listening
- Work well with other people
- Caring attitude
- Able to form working relationships quickly
- Good at empathising
- Keep confidentiality
Skills I want to learn:
- Theoretical knowledge of counselling methods
- What to do in specific circumstances – like abuse etc
- How to actually work as a counsellor
- Different types of listening
- How to deal with people in distress